Sunday, February 17, 2008

It's Done!

It's been a few weeks and my how things change! We got the house! We moved in the weekend of my birthday (Feb 10th) and it was horrendous to go through a move again---but it's over and I'm never moving again for the rest of my life! LOL!

Things didn't go smoothly with the close, of course. The ex wife of the seller decided to cause problems and delays by refusing to sign the offer---which was exactly the same offer she agreed to last fall before other problems occurred. She was just being difficult. We were supposed to close on January 30th and have possession of the house on February 3rd. Scott took time off from work for the week of Feb 4th so we could work on the house before we moved in on the 9th. The ex-wife messed that all up, we didn't end up closing until the 8th, the day before things were all planned out to move. Even after we signed the paperwork, they tried to delay us getting the keys so we could get in and clean before we moved in, but we just called up the seller and asked if he had any problems with us getting the keys before the title transferred---he didn't so we got them right away. We came to the house and cleaned until late that night, got home around 2 am and then had to get up at 7 am to get the truck. By the end of that night, hubby and I could barely even lift a finger, we were so tired. And it just kept going like that all weekend into the beginning of the week. By Wednesday, my back hurt so badly from moving boxes and unpacking that I could barely stand. I took it easy on Thursday and Friday so by Saturday I was feeling more like myself. We still have to finish getting stuff out of the old house and clean it up---we also told the landlord we would paint it for him so he didn't have to worry about doing it. He's been really good to us---when my first husband and I separated and he left me and the kids with nothing, the landlord didn't kick us out when I didn't have the rent. I got a job right away and he let me spread out my missed rent payments over time. He also let me be very late a few times without charging me fees, he's always been real good to us so I figured the least we could do is clean the place up and paint for him. I have to say, I'm not looking forward to it, LOL!

My sewing room needs work. They had carpet in there---but apparently it only went as far as the bed because the floor was bare after they took the bed out! The floors underneath need to be finished or painted. The water valve to the toilet in the bathroom next to my sewing room was loose and leaking so that had come through the floor in the sewing room. Hubby fixed the leak in a split second, now we are drying out the floor. I can't believe the previous owners couldn't have seen that and taken a second to tighten things up. Oh well, it IS a 145 year old house, there are plenty of things that need to be fixed! I don't think my Grace frame is going to fit in the sewing room, I may have to set up a spot in the living room for it---thank goodness the living room is huge! I also need some lighting in the sewing room---right now there are just some wall sconces, they don't even have switches on them! The room is really small, I think it's 8 X 9 so I'll have to really work hard to utilize the space. I told hubby that he is going to build me a big log cabin sewing studio on the property, LOL!

I can't believe how big this house is!!! We had 9 people living in the last house---which was all of 1050 square feet. This house is 2400 sq. ft. and it's very soundproof so I barely hear the boys and their loudness upstairs! Plus, there are only 6 of us now, so there is more space for less people, which is nice. I can actually sit in different areas of the house and have peace and quiet and not have people in my face every minute of the day! Not that I don't adore my family---but I have to say, it is nice to have some quiet time during the day! I have the most wonderful view from my kitchen windows and I love to get up early before everyone else and sit and look out the window. This is a picture out the window before we bought the house.

There are fields and trees out the window and we have some birdfeeders (which need filled and soon!) It's actually a 3 window bay window so it's quite a panoramic view.

I'll post pictures as we do some work around here---there is plenty to do. As for quilting, my sewing room won't be up for a bit but I am itching to get working on my Grace frame, which is still at the old house, :-(

Time to go relax, we have to get back to homeschooling tomorrow, we took a week break and I'm afraid it's going to be hard to get the boys back on track. They don't know tomorrow is a school holiday (President's Day) but since we've had a week off, I'm just going to start back up tomorrow.

I'll check in soon, hopefully I'll have some quilty news happening ASAP!!!


Jeanne said...

Congratulations on the new house! My back was aching just reading about your work. VBG I look forward to seeing your new sewing room soon.

Christy said...

Congratulations! Howe exciting.

Alycia said...

Glad you are getting moved in - sounds like a hectic time. I agree I think I would stay for the rest of my life too!!

Saphirz said...

Grats on the house, Its a beauty!
I just love old houses. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

Meredith said...

Congrats on the new home. I am so happy for you. It looks lovely. I like the proch. I wish our house had one. Enjoy!

Kelly said...

I love the house!!!

Turntablist said...

Wow, great looking house.. it's huge!

T @